Waalse kerk in Leiden  (Leiden, town of refugees)

(sep 2018) Terug naar Mijn Stambomen


 

 

mst.

De gotische Onze-lieve-vrouwe kerk werd in de 14e eeuw gebouwd. Na de reformatie werd de kerk de Vrouwekerk genoemd, omdat de vorige naam te katholiek was.

Tijdens de oorlog met Spanje werd de kerk zwaar beschadigd. Het gebouw werd gered door een rijke dame op voorwaarde dat de gemeente het geschikt zou maken voor de Hugenoten.

Zo werd het in 1584 een Waalse kerk.


The gothic church of our Lady was built in the 14th century. After the reformation it was called the Lady church because the old name sounded too catholic.
During the war with Spain the church was heavily damaged. The building was saved by a rich lady on condition that it would be used by the Huguenots. So in 1584 it became the Walloon church.


 

De kerk kreeg ruim 6000 leden, waaronder Jesse de Forest (die zich later als één der eersten in Manhattan vestigde) en Philippe de Lanoij die hier gedoopt werd in 1603. Zijn tante Hester Mahieu huwde hier in 1603 met Francis Cooke, één van de Pilgrimfathers.  (Deze pilgrims hadden geen eigen kerk en gebruikten de Waalse Kerk en de Pieterskerk voor hun diensten)

Nadat veel Hugenoten vertrokken of ingeburgerd waren, kwam de kerk in verval. Voordat het werd afgebroken, werd het orgel verplaatst naar de tweede Waalse kerk in de Breestraat.

 

The church had 6000 members, like Jesse de Forest (one of the first man to settle in Manhattan) and Philippe de Lanoy who was baptized here in 1603. His aunt Hester Mahieu was married here in 1603 to Francis Cooke, one of the Pilgrimfathers (These pilgrims had no church of their own and used the Walloon church and the Pieters-church.

After much Huguenots had left of were assimilated, the church deteriorated. Before it was broken down the organ was moved to the second Walloon Church in the Breestraat.

 

 

Deze tweede Waalse kerk was vroeger een middeleeuws ziekenhuis, het Sint Catharina Gasthuis. In 1638 werd het een Waalse kerk.
De kerk is nog steeds in gebruik!

 

This second Walloon church used to be a medieval hospital, the Saint Catharina Guesthouse. In 1638 it became a Walloon church. It still is being used, in French.

 

.

. The famous organ

 

De Waalse Bibliotheek

 

Terug naar Mijn Stambomen